Thursday 22 May 2014

SCOM 2012 R2: Linux Monitoring...

Hi Guys,

It has been a really long time since I posted on here but yes I am still around heh :)

Anyway I have been working with a client lately who wants to checkout the linux monitoring from SCOM, of which I have personally stayed away from (I have a unix/linux background I am paranoid to put anything MS on something like RHEL). Anyway since the client wants to get rid of the other monitoring platforms on place if possible and have all monitoring coming from one system I had no choice but to check it out.

At first most of the issues around deploying the agent happened to be with the RHEL box one of the unix guys gave me. Basically some firewall fun and adding the SCOM IP's into /etc/hosts.allow, after this I could discover the box but the install was failing at the certificate assignment. In this case it turns out I forgot to set the certificate profile run as account back in SCOM. After setting this the agent installed fine... Next I was not actually getting any performance monitoring in the console, then realizing I forgot to assign the run as profile for the unprivileged and privileged users woohoo..

So I eventually figured it out but then couldn't be bothered waiting for it to pull data so went home..

Will update you all as to if you should even bother with the linux based monitoring agents I'm guessing not :)

6/6/14 UPDATE:
So far the servers have not died which is a good thing I guess. The base RHEL pack obviously is pulling in all the std happy crap like disk usage etc other that that nothing special. I did try a bunch of management packs from an "un-named" company for MySql and Apache(httpd). I don't really have very good things to say about them I may name drop them in future :D

3 comments:

  1. Also it turns out half the stuff the client wants monitored(in linux space) would mean I would have to write management packs all over the show to handle all the custom software and excitement . Plus the fact I am lucky to be alive when I asked the unix guys if I can put Microsoft products on the RHEL boxes whooo we all know how situations like that turn out

    ReplyDelete
  2. after thinking about this given the op' I wouldn't go near this again with a 200ft pole. Just saying

    ReplyDelete